‘’Onufri ‘’ -National Museum of Icons – located within the old Cathedral of Dormition of St. Mary ( 18th century ) which is a Byzantine style Church characterized by a marvelous golden wooden iconostasis .The collection of the icons dating back to the 14th – 19th centuries include important works by the great artist Onufri and his school of painters .
Ethnographic Museum – Placed in one of the best preserved traditional houses of Berat which dates back to the 18th century .Inside there is the archaeological pavilion ,an imitation of a medieval bazaar ,the architectural pavilion and the environments of a typical house of the 18th century .
Art Gallery ‘’Edward Lear’’ – Opened in 1994 is one of the most important and best Art Galleries in the country .The collection highlights many contemporary and past art works by the artists from the country and abroad.
Historic sites :
CASTLE : ( entrance fee : 100 lek )
Cathedral of Dormition of Saint Mary ( ‘’Onufri’’ National Museum of the Icons) . see the descprition above.
Church of Saint Mary Vlaherna- Saint Maria Vlaherna church is the oldest one still existing in Berat city ( 13th century ) . This church has being recovered in the 16th century and its frescos are painted by artist Nicola, son of Onufri.
Church of Saint Nicola ( 16th century ) –The archaeological excavations have found that the walls of this church were built in the 16th century .Inside the church is found a capitol used for the rituals which is an element of the Paleo- Christian architecture.
Church of Saints Constantine & Helen –The church is a chapel which was completed in the year 1644 . It has a ceiling with the decorative elements and its frescos present scenes from the crucifixion of the Jesus .
Church of the Holy Trinity –(13th– 14th century ) . The church was built closed to the second surroundings walls in the Castle . It has beautiful Byzantine murals and its walls were built using the cloisonné technique .
Acropolis –Placed in the higher part of the Castle , it is surrounded by the second perimeter of the walls in the Castle. Inside it are found the ruins of the houses of the Turkish military garrisons , the ruins of the White Mosque built in the Ottoman period and the remains of the Feudal Chamber.
Water cistern- (13th– 14th century ) . It was used for the conservation of the water during the late Middle ages . A stone tunnel was built in the southern side to bring the water from the river directly to the tower.
Red Mosque-( 15th century ) –The mosque is one of the oldest in Albania . At the beginning it served to the caravans coming from East to West and later it served to the Turkish garrisons .
Church of Saint Demetrius – The church has been rebuilt over the ruins of an older chapel in the 16th -17th century. According to an epigraphy the church has been painted in the year 1607.
Church of Saint Theodore (16th century ) – The church was built in the middle of the 16th century and was painted by Onufri. Inside the church of St. Theodore was found the copy of the Epitaph of Gllavenica ,an outstanding art work of the year 1373 .
Church of Saint Elijah – This church is located outside of the surrounding walls of the Castle . The biblical scenes in this church are written in Albanian language, a rare sample in religious objects in Berat. During the communist regime this object was destroyed and was rebuilt after the 1990’s.
Monastery of St. Spiridon ( 18th century ) – The monastery of Saint Spiridon is placed in the center of Gorica quarter .The epigraphy in its entrance dates the object back to the year 1864. The monastery’s building represents a typical scheme of the basilicas of the 18th century.
St. Thomas’s Church –( 18th century ) – The church of St. Thomas is located in Gorica quarter. The object was destroyed during the communist regime and was rebuilt after the 1990’s with the donations given by the Christian community of the city of Berat.
Ruins of Gorica Castle – Gorica Castle has been another castle in the city that belongs to the same period with the Castle positioned in the opposite hill .Today are found only the ruins of this castle.
Gorica Bridge- The wooden bridge of Gorica was built in 1780 by Ahmet Kurt Pasha . It was rebuilt two times ; in the 18th century it was recovered in stones and during the years 1920- 1930 .
The churches of Gorica are opened every day for the visitors ( free entrance )
Bachelor’s Mosque – Built in 1827 with the aim to serve to the bachelor craftsmen in the city. Characteristic for this mosque is the application in its facades of the paintings representing the scenes from the city.
St. Michael’s Church –(13th century )-Built on the pointed rock in Mangalem quarter demonstrates a mastery of the cloisonné technique. Compared to other churches of Berat, in this church is found a higher architectonic level and a tendency for a perfection of the forms.
MEDIEVAL CENTER :
King’s Mosque ( 15th century ) The King Mosque is one of the most important Mosques in the city .It is part of the Islamic Center and was built at the end of the 15th century by Sultan Bajaziti II .
Teke of Helveti- ( 15th century ) The Teke of Helveti was built in the 15th century and rebuilt by Ahmet Kurt Pasha in 1782. Characteristic for this Teke is the wooden ceiling decorated according to baroque style adapted to the Islamic art with the paintings described as the most beautiful of that time.
To enter in these objects please ask in the building next to Helveti’s Teke –(Directory of the Culture Monuments )
Other points :
New Orthodox Church (opened everyday for the visitors)- The church of Saint Demetrius – built in 2006 in the existing place of the Old Cathedral of the town .
Leaden Mosque – (16th cent.) The most beautiful mosque built during the domination of the Sultan Suljeman Konunor (1520-1566) , a period in which the city was becoming an important center under the Ottoman Empire. This is the biggest mosque of this type in Albania.